Get Involved as a Volunteer
CURRENT NEEDS: WEEKEND VOLUNTEERS FOR SAT. 12-3, 3-6 OR SUN. 9-12, 12-3, or 3-6. Call for info!
Volunteers are vital to the success of The Rathbun Center and make The Rathbun Center a "house with a heart". Many of our volunteers have experienced similar situations as our guests, so they understand what a family is going through when they arrive at the Center. Approximately 100 volunteers are involved in operating the Center.
Front Desk Volunteers must commit to a 3 hour shift and be comfortable encountering families experiencing a medical crisis, be flexible, be attentive to detail, self directed and welcoming to persons of different backgrounds staying in our home.
Depending on the volunteer's availability and the needs of the house, schedules are available once a week, twice a month, monthly or on an "as needed basis".
Shifts are 9-12n, 12n-3pm, 3pm-6pm and 6-9pm seven days a week. Training is required for Front Desk Volunteers with a 2 hour introductory session conducted by the House Manager, followed by "on the job" training during regular shifts. Each volunteer also receives a Volunteer Training Manual.
General Responsibilities of Front Desk Volunteers
Volunteers are our "Directors of First Impressions" at the Front Desk during a 3 hour shift. Two volunteers are scheduled per shift if possible. Some shifts may only have one person.
- Greet, register and settle in new guests to make them feel comfortable and at home
- Explain House Rules and give a tour of the house
- Assist guest with check out procedures
- Check rooms for cleanliness and supplies after checkouts.
- Answer incoming calls, take room requests, take messages for guests/direct calls to staff.
- Conduct House Tours to interested visitors
- Pass on vital information to incoming volunteers/staff which may impact the continued smooth operation of the house or the comfort of the guest.
- Check daily log sheet for any chores to be completed.
- Enjoy your volunteer service to the Rathbun Center and know that YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE to the families staying at the house.
Other volunteer opportunities include occasionally helping with mailings, preparing meals/bringing snacks for our guests to enjoy, assisting with holiday meals, helping with landscaping and house maintenance.
If interested in volunteering in any capacity, please contact Caryl Dean, House Director, at 828/251-0595.