About Us & Quick Facts
The Rathbun Center is a hospital hospitality house which accepts guests on a referral basis from hospital social workers, clergy and physicians. The center is available for all living outside Buncombe County that have a need, but rooms are given on a first come, first serve basis depending on space available. The house is open 365 days a year. Admission is by referral only, and there is no charge to stay, but donations are welcomed to continue the operations of the Center.
We are also pleased to offer The Rathbun Center for your business and organization meetings. Click Meeting Room for more information.
- Guests must live outside Buncombe County and be referred by a hospital chaplain, social worker or physician.
- 36 bedrooms with twin beds and private bath, rollaways available. Bed and bath linens and cleaning supplies provided.
- Since 1994, The Rathbun Center has provided lodging to over 24,000 families.
- Average occupancy is 94%.
- Average length of stay is 6 nights.
- Guests have been from 45 different states and 5 different countries.
- 70% of guests are from Western North Carolina counties.
- 100 volunteers donate over 6,500 hours per year to the operation of the Rathbun Center.
- Elevators available in the residential wing and in the children's wing.
- Laundry area with washer, dryer, iron, and detergent provided on each floor.
- Day rooms with recliners and half baths on main floor.
- Showers on main floor for day room guest use.
- Kitchen with refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, storage space and pantry available.
- Sitting area with TVs, VCRs, games and movies available in dining room, and on each residential floor.
- Walking trails, gazebo and playground available outside for guests.
- Play room in children's wing with slides, toys and books for children.
- Library , Computer in dining room with Internet access available. Also wireless access available in dining room and library area.
- Transportation provided to and from the hospital by hospital security.
- Phones available in guestrooms. Phone cards sold at front desk.
- Friendly and supportive volunteers and staff on hand to provide assistance and to make the stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible in a "home-like" atmosphere.